Diabetes is a long term condition which has significant ethnic and social disparities in prevalence and outcomes. There is also huge scope to reduce these inequalities. The complex nature of the condition requires a comprehensive and sustained approach. We need to tackle the wider determinants for causes, management, and complications.
This study will test Mana Tū—a programme co-designed with whānau, clinicians, health service planners, and whānau ora providers. It aims to improve the impact of clinical and lifestyle interventions for whānau living with pre-diabetes, and people with poorly controlled diabetes.
Mana Tū deploys skilled and supported Kaimanaaki-whānau (KMs) in general practices. The KMs use a mana whānau approach, and work with general practice teams while being operationally supported by a central hub. The hub will co-ordinate broader community and social service support systems for whānau including training, programme design, and support, within a rich data environment.
This research project is funded by the Ministry of Health, Health Research Council of New Zealand, and Healthier Lives National Science Challenge as part of the Long Term Conditions Partnership.
Read more about this project at Mana Tū: Using a Whānau ora approach to tackle long-term conditions.
Mana Tū: A whānau ora approach to long term conditions
Science Leader and principal investigator:
- Angela Boswell
- Laura Broome
- Dr Peter Carswell
- Dr Richard Edlin
- Dr Rawiri Jansen
- Phil Light
- Dr Jennifer Reid
- Dr Vanessa Selak
- Taria Tane, Network Hub Manager
- Tereki Stewart, PhD student
- Mana Tū: Using a Whānau ora approach to tackle long-term conditions May 2018
- Consultation launched at the Diabetes NZ 2017 ASM November 2017
- Dr Matire Harwood: work in indigenous health recognised November 2017
- Maori approach to diabetes treatment studied Waatea News, November 2017
- Multi-million dollar funding collaboration to improve long-term health conditions February 2017
- New partnership to improve health of New Zealanders June 2016