TĀ MĀTOU E TŪHURA ANA
What we are investigating
Take | Issue
Unhealthy diet is the leading preventable risk for poor health worldwide. The National Healthy Food and Drink Policy was developed by nutrition and public health representatives from 20 New Zealand District Health Boards (DHBs) and the Ministry of Health. Although voluntary, the National Policy is recommended for use by DHBs and other public sector organisations.
Whāinga | Aim
We will evaluate the Policy to answer four key research questions:
- Is the National Policy being adopted by public sector institutions and, if so, are there differences in level of Policy implementation?
- Where the Policy has been implemented, what has its impact been?
- What resources are needed to support Policy implementation and maximise its adoption by public sector institutions?
- What are the equity implications of the Policy for Māori, Pasifika and low-income New Zealanders?
Huarahi I Whāia | Approach
The research team will audit the foods and drinks available for sale in all 20 New Zealand DHBs and two central government agencies that have adopted the Policy to date, analyse institutional food retail sales data, conduct surveys of staff and visitors at participating institutions, undertake interviews with food service managers and retailers, identify and test resources to support and enhance implementation, and assess the equity implications of the Policy. The results will provide direct evidence of the Policy's effectiveness as a health promotion tool, inform future improvements, and produce resources to enhance its implementation and impact.
Puka Rangahau | Academic Publications
- 2021 Assessment of New Zealand District Health Boards’ Institutional Healthy Food and Drink Policies: the HealthY Policy Evaluation (HYPE) study The New Zealand Medical Journal vol. 135,1560 67-76. 19 Aug. 2022
- Barriers and facilitators to implementation of healthy food and drink policies in public sector workplaces: a systematic literature review. Nutrition Reviews, nuad062. 19 Jun. 2023
- Tools and resources used to support implementation of workplace healthy food and drink policies: A scoping review of grey literature. Nutrition & dietetics: the journal of the Dietitians Association of Australia, 2023;10.1111/1747-0080.12844.